Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Planes and publications...

When hypothetically helping my sister plan her visit this fall, and going back and forth with each other on low fares we were finding, she admitted that she'd rather drive three and a half hours out of the way to Newark to fly non-stop to Glasgow. Because she hates connecting. Gabriella is about as fantastic a traveler as they come, and she hates connecting.

I, on the other hand, am clearly an insane person. Because I love it. Non-stops and itineraries with one leg bore me. It's too easy. But connections make things interesting. There's no better feeling (after the fact, not during) than sprinting through a terminal and making a tight connection, just like there's no better feeling than finding a perfect spot in an airport to just sit and people or plane watch for a few hours on a long layover. I love it because when you're transiting, you've got nothing else to do, nowhere else to be. It's almost like a blizzard. You're just there and you have to make the best of it.

Plus, airport bars!

Can you tell I'm itching to go somewhere? But a real trip. Málaga was great for vacation purposes, but it did nothing to quell the travel bug. Going on holiday and almost physically needing to be in-transit somewhere are two very different feelings. Sometimes, a girl just needs to be in an airport. The bigger and more foreign the better. It's the butterflies you get when walking down the jetway to board a longhaul flight. I'm jonesing for those butterflies.

Sadly, there are no longhauls in my forseeable future. But the whole conversation with her got me all worked up to go somewhere. And I'm going nowhere right now, with every spare penny I have being put towards fall tuition and a deposit on my (still not yet acquired) Glasgow flat.

In non-travel related news, I had a story picked up for the Human Genre Project, a collection of works (both fiction and poetry) inspired by genetics and the 23 pairs of chromosomes in the human body. The project is based out of the University of Edinburgh, and I must say, it's a far more pleasant letter one receives when work is accepted, rather than rejected. It makes for a really good week, especially with dissertation deadlines looming and a PhD reading list that so far has gone unread by yours truly.

4 Comments:

At July 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At July 16, 2009 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

Direct link to Genevieve's story "The Maple Syrup Urine Disease" since the Human Genre Project interface, while pretty, is not actually very usable.

 
At July 17, 2009 at 3:11 PM , Blogger ArmenoRicanFutbol said...

So what kind of low fares are you finding for Gabby?? I need to check these out and I want to plan a trip. When would be the best time, early fall, spring, early summer? I have a feeling that I'd like to avoid winter. Also, I think doing a game, Rangers or Celtic, or even taking a train to England to see an EPL match would be awesome. And I guess bringing Pat into the discussion would be good too.

 
At July 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM , Blogger ArmenoRicanFutbol said...

How did you come up with (or decide on rather) Maple Syrup Urine Disease? Anyway congrats on the story being published! It was good, looking forward someday to that best selling novel...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home