Saturday, June 20, 2009

In An Aeroplane Over the Sea...

CNN.com ran an article this morning about how computer programs are being developed to help you beat jetlag. That's the silliest thing I've ever read. You don't need a computer program to get over it. You need ALCOHOL. I'm not even being facetious. Transatlantically, it works. Leave the States at night, arrive in Europe early the next morning, force yourself to stay awake all day, and then that evening, go out and have a few drinks with dinner. Or go out out if you're up for it. When you get to your bed that night, you'll pass out for sure, but the next morning it's just really not as bad! At least for me. Dammit, Jim, I'm a writer, not a doctor. I can't give a remedy that works for everyone. But for me beating jetlag, I've found that the best method involves a late dinner and a bottle of wine at Pizza Express the night you get into the UK, and then you're quite normal the following day.

I think my favorite beating jetlag story is actually not mine, and is from last summer, when my cousin's girlfriend flew in from Japan (including a brutal connection here in the States before even getting to BWI). She got in at probably 10pm, met the entire extended family for the first time ever (which I'd imagine is insanely intimidating with our lot), and then still came out to the bar with all of the cousins until the wee hours of the morning. I think at one point she actually said she was delirious from being halfway around the world and not having slept, but she came out with us. The girl is a traveling champ.

T-minus nine days until Spain, which means nine days until real sun. No jetlag involved!

2 Comments:

At June 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At June 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

Ah, yes. That was a bold and impressive move from Sevan's girl. Particularly since we were all in rare (read ridiculously hard drinking) form that evening.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home