Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The weather outside is frightful...

So well into Term 2, we finally received our grades for our Term 1 portfolios today. It's a bit nervewracking, to have my entire grade for my first two classes be decided by one large piece of work. I did pretty well: a 17 (B1) for one and a 15 (B3) for the other. And I have to say, I'm thrilled. Grading here isn't like in the States. "A" grades are very seldom given out (I've heard rumors of entire classes of no one receiving anything in the "A" category), so to get a mark at the top of the "Bs" is pretty damn good. That puts me in the "upper second class honors" range for now, which I can definitely live with, and also makes it possible for me to still confidently apply for PhD programs.

It's been a snowy week here on this side of the pond. Perhaps you've seen the reports on the news of the snow that's costing the government over £5 billion? The reports of the UK's death have been greatly exaggerated. 6 - 8 inches of snow does not a blizzard make. Here in Glasgow, it's been very snowy for the past few days, but random bursts of sun and rain keep making it disappear. Only to have it start snowing again.

Still, campus in the snow looks eerily like Hogwarts. Or more so than campus usually does.

Also, I'm out of my favorite chapstick and also need to take the GREs, so I'm heading back stateside for two weeks in April. It just so happens I'll be back for Easter, Passover, the NHL playoffs, and the start of the MLB season. In between test-taking and chapstick purchasing, I plan to attend many sporting events and eat a lot. Who needs Cancun when you can hit up the Baltimore suburbs? And I am not being sarcastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home