Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Take me out to the ballgame.

There is nothing to give a girl a twinge of homesickness like not being able to get access to American sports.

It is a dark and rainy night here in Glasgow. And cold, too. After class at 7:30pm, I walked down (in the pouring rain) to the GUU to see if I could watch the Phillies game there. Which apparently, I could. Meaning they have the ability to show it to me. But they won't. A Liverpool Champions League match apparently trumps the NLDS and has to be shown on every TV in the Beer Bar (which I could understand if it were Celtic or Rangers, but it's not and we're not Merseyside, so why not one itty bitty television sacrificed?). The other option would be to hike down to The Sports Cafe on Sauchiehall in City Centre, but it's well over a mile, pouring rain, dipping down into the 30°s tonight (errr, single digits), and I had no guarantee I'd be able to watch it there either. Which is fine. I live in another country. I accept that.

But the super frustrating thing came when getting back to my room, figuring I'd just listen to it on the computer. Except apparently, I can't. The only option I can find that will work is MLB's "International" package, which is $24 for video, $14.95 for audio. And I'll be damned if I'm paying $14.95 to listen to baseball. This is America. Baseball on the radio is like air.

Or rather, I suppose this isn't America. So nevermind.

Nor was it America yesterday when I was on the 4th floor of the Adam Smith building (a tall, ugly, modern building on campus that just so happens to have spectacular views from the higher floor lecture halls) and one of my Scottish classmates asked if there was a lift (elevator) back down to the ground floor. And ever the litigious American that I am chirped, "There has to be! ADA!" Except this isn't America, so no American Disabilities Act, no guaranteed form of transportation for the disabled. I'm sure there's something comparable here in the UK, but I sure as heck don't know what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I love Glasgow and wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now. I'm just mildly grumpy to have to Gamecast the NLDS. Which is no fault of Scotland's and entirely the fault of MLB. So if I'm cross with anyone this evening, it's MLB (YEAAAAAAAAAH, CHASE UTLEY IN THE BOTTOM OF THE THIRD!). And the weather doesn't help; I'm chilled to the bone and perhaps this is contributing to me being less than super cheerful right now. But again, this is my fault for not wearing a warmer coat tonight.

2 Comments:

At October 2, 2008 at 5:00 AM , Blogger happy bunny said...

did you or did you not say that those wonky dorms of yours promised an electric kettle for every room? have some tea! or nescafe and warm up a bit :,D sip those rainy blues away.

but take comfort in knowing that the weather was similarly miserable stateside today. there was what i consider "sad" rain - the drizzly gray kind that doesn't have the quaint romance of steady fat raindrops or the excitement of a crazy downpour. just drips and drabs of depression-laced precipitation...

chin up! (cue music) the sun will come out... TOMORROW!

 
At October 8, 2008 at 1:04 AM , Blogger Patrick said...

You should check out justin.tv. It is like youtube before the takedown notices but for live events. I've used it to watch soccer games when I'm somewhere without cable.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home