Friday, September 19, 2008

Why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?

One of the most interesting things I've seen here in Glasgow is courtesy of the ladies toilets in just about every decent club/bar in the city and totally indicative of the weather here. I've been in club/bar toilets in the States, that sometimes have niceties like lotion, hairspray, mouthwash, etc. But the bars/clubs in Glasgow? Their ladies toilets feature pay-as-you-go hair straighteners. I do not lie. You put ₤1 into the machine, and it buys you 90 seconds of straightener use. It's actually a bit of a brilliant concept for a city where it rains in some form every single day.

Language difference: the vocab used here for orange juice. When I went to Iceland (the cheapy food shop, not the country) yesterday to stock up on vitamin C (I could feel the start of a cold), I noticed that they don't have with/without pulp in their Tropicana. They have with/without "juicy bits." Well, then.

Yesterday's evening out with K and J (flatmate and neighbor, respectively) ended up stretching into the wee hours of the morning, during which I realized that while it's fine for myself and my fellow Americans to not always speak favorably about our native land, it is completely not fine for random internationals to -- as they say here in Glasgow -- slag it off. Telling me that America is "nothing more than Cheesecake Factory and TGI Fridays" is not the way to make friends. A girl gets mighty patriotic at 1:30am, somewhere in Merchant City, when her homeland's honor is being questioned.

That being said, there is a TGI Fridays in Merchant City. I would be lying if I said my stomach didn't grumble momentarily at the thought of potato skins when we walked past.

1 Comments:

At September 19, 2008 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

I know the british of all people were not questioning our culinary chops.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home