Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It's a small world afterall.

This is definitely not a university for the xenophobic. So far, I have met people from the following countries:

  • USA
  • Scotland
  • Thailand
  • China
  • Nigeria
  • India
  • Russia
  • Mauritius
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Brazil
  • Germany
  • Canada
My flatmate (who's from Mauritius) told me today that she met a girl yesterday moving into our building who's Puerto Rican. I might have to go stalking and attempt to barter friendship in the currency of Yaucono.

Today is a lazy day. I don't register till tomorrow (I thought it was today and am glad I didn't mistakenly hike up to campus) and I can't get my bank ish done until tomorrow and so I'm kind of in a holding pattern today. I do have reading to get done before term starts in two weeks, so I'm going to try and get cracking on that, even though my instinct on this cold, rainy Glasgow Tuesday is to snuggle in bed with Grey's Anatomy on DVD. But I'm learning that if I use the Glasgow weather as an excuse, I'll never leave the flat. Because it is always cold. And it is always rainy.

My upstairs neighbor and I are going to drag ourselves over to campus and Byres Road later this afternoon and attempt to find a good cafe in which we both want to try and get some school reading done. The nice thing about grad school -- unlike undergrad -- is that everyone has the same academic anxiety. It's not like freshman year, when a large percentage of people were just there to party. Here, everyone seems like though while they're up for a good time, there's no mistaking the purpose of being at the university.

I cheat -- I can't seem to wrap my brains around Celsius and keep having to switch my weather system back to Fahrenheit. The sad thing is, I used to think in Celsius. I used to live in this country. But fifteen years out of it, fifteen years of dealing with triple digit temperature possibilities have warped my mind and made me completely unable to mentally adjust from C° to F° in my head.

Today will be a good day to break in my new raincoat.

3 Comments:

At September 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll look great in your new raincoat. But keep the pints to a minimum if you're really trying to catch-up on school reading.

 
At September 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

One easy trick with the temp is just double the Celsius and add 32 and you'll end up a few degrees off from the Fahrenheit temp. So like 8 degrees C x 2 = 16 + 32 = 48 degrees F. And in reality it's probably more like 45 degrees F, but at least it gets you close.

I'm a nerd.

 
At September 19, 2008 at 6:43 AM , Blogger Patrick said...

It took me about a month to switch to internalizing celsius when I lived in Spain and about a week to forget it all when I got back home.

So you should be good in about 3 weeks :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home