Friday, August 29, 2008

He's got the whole White House press corps asking each other how to spell erudite!

This is an auspicious occasion indeed. Not only did Barack Obama just deliver one of the defining political speeches of my lifetime, but on a a far more personal level, I just officially used my new University of Glasgow email address to join the University of Glasgow Facebook network.

And lest it seem as if I'm being completely facetious in my excitement over the big Facebook switch, I actually truly am excited about it. Changing one's Facebook network, oh so big a deal.

As was accessing my Glasgow email for the first time, and already finding it full. It's a preview of my new life that starts in two weeks. Signups for conferences, calls for papers, special events, gym memberships. It makes it all seem a bit more concrete. I have an email address@student.gla.ac.uk. It's not just an acceptance letter. It's digital, baby!

But it would be irresponsible of me not to properly mention Obama, or how the promise of him as president almost makes me not want to live in another country. At least not the entire time he'd be in office. It was one hell of a speech, from one hell of a speaker.

It would further be irresponsible of me not to properly mention how Michelle Obama rocked it again. Fantastic dress. And the flats! M.O. as first lady could encite a footwear revolution in which women are firmly on the ground. Not that I don't love wearing heels; the pain is worth it for the height and the walk. But oh, to live in a country where my children were guaranteed healthcare, where American jobs weren't shipped overseas, and the feet of American women give up their addiction to foreign footwear... it's an America I want to be a part of.

And finally, it would be really irresponsible of me not to properly mention some of the eerie similarities between Obama's speech tonight and Andrew Shepherd's speech when he called out Bob Rumson. Just sayin'.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home